SANAA, July 16 (Xinhua) -- A Dutch couple kidnapped in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa last month appeared Tuesday in an online video, appealing to their government for their release.
"We were kidnapped here in Yemen and we have a big problem," they said in the video, adding that they had talked with the Dutch ambassador in Sanaa and told him the abductors' demands.
"(But) there was no response... and until now nothing happened, " said the couple.
They said the kidnappers are armed and gave them 10 days to meet their demands. Otherwise, "they will shoot us," said Judith Spiegel, sitting beside her husband Boudewijn Berendsen in the video.
"Family, media, people in the Netherlands, do something," she begged.
On June 15, the Yemeni interior ministry announced that the Dutch couple was kidnapped in Sanaa.
Foreigners are frequently kidnapped in Yemen by al-Qaida militants or tribesmen who asked for ransom or for the release of their jailed fellows. Most of the kidnapped have been freed unharmed.
Last month, two South Africans were kidnapped in Yemen's central province of Taiz. They are still missing.
A Finnish couple and an Austrian man kidnapped by the al-Qaida militants in Yemen last December were released in May.